THIS WEEK: Sven and Van bring you a wonderful Christmas special about a classic Japanese horror flick and its commentary on post-WWII Japanese society! Hooray! Sven's facial blindness eclipses Van's; we chat about the strong points of visual storytelling; we have a lengthy sidebar on nuclear radiation in Japanese and Western fiction; we realize one of our favorite video games has to be referencing the very movie we're covering; Van curses Sven with forbidden biology; and, for the love of Christmas, don't let it set in!
Remember to check out Kaijucast! <3
The short story that Matango is based on, The Voice In The Night, can be found on Wikisource.
* Matango (1963)
* The film's localization
* Ishiro Honda and his legacy
* William H. Hodgson's The Voice In The Night
* Dramatis Personae
* Visual storytelling through shot composition
* Lord of the Flies
* Gushing about set design, ft. spooky-ass ghost ships
* The Lucky Dragon 5
* Watchmen and the culture of scifi after the atomic bomb
* The food problem
* Mushroom people (meeple?)
* Shirley Jackson's The Sundial
* Class warfare dynamics and the resentment of social status
* No Exit
* Yoshida's descent and Sakuta's motives
* The dissolution of the crew
* The Matangos' suit design
* Kenji's escape from the island & the finale
* Sven learns that parasites are bad
* Did we enjoy this?
* “Fight! Seven Riders!! Showa Rider Taisen” – Kamen Rider x Kamen Rider Fourze & OOO: Movie War Megamax
* RIDER CHIPS - "Fight! Seven Riders!" - Pachinko Kamen Rider: Full Throttle
NEXT WEEK: Introducing the last commander in V3 and our secondary protagonist. Along with Marshall Armor, it's time to meet the fourth of our Legendary Seven: Riderman.