THIS WEEK: We introduce our coverage of the Kamen Rider franchise; we have to talk about Japanese regnal eras; Sven shows off his voice acting chops; being an X-Men fan is suffering; Mr. John Toei won't let grandpa back in the suit; Paul Marketing appears nonetheless; Hongo is the dumbest supergenius we've ever seen; no one at Shocker has a medical degree; Rider has been a hero for outcasts since the beginning; the Homestar Runner jokes will continue until morale improves; you should trust no one in academia; future Sven isn't to be trusted; we mention Persona: trinity soul for some reason, and you should always kick a Nazi in the face.
* Kamen Rider (1971) 1-8
* Kamen Rider Series introduction and general overview of Showa and Heisei eras of the franchise
* Shotaro Ishinomori, Toru Hirayama, and sociopolitical commentary in a show for six year olds
* Dramatis personae
* Takeshi Hongo, aka Segata Sanshiro, the actual coolest and strongest and God-King of Castle Superbeast with an IQ of SIX HUNDRED
* Spoderm'n, Batm'n, Scorpionm'n, Sarracenian, Mantism'n, Chameleonm'n, Bee Woman
* Budgeting props and effects with two 200 yen coins and a piece of string
* Surreality and psychedelia with Shocker
* The Great Leader's questionable choices and Shocker's terrible plans
* The heady days where safety protocols didn't exist
* Hongo's alter-ego, Cy B. Orgman, with the bombproof butt
* Invisible Nazis are the worst
* Shocker's Nazi roots and why Rider is an anti-fascist icon
* Hitler's Secret Treasure
* These fight scenes actually rule
* Hongo can hear as well as dogs
* What we've learned this episode
* Why toku and Rider's themes keep pulling us in
* "Fight! Seven Riders! Showa Rider Taisen"- Kamen Rider x Kamen Rider Fourze & OOO: Movie War Megamax
* Masato Shimon - "Let's Go! Rider Kick" and "Kamen Rider no Uta"
JUST WHAT IS SHOCKER?: An analysis by a gibbering Showa fan by @cannibal-sarracenian on tumblr.
NEXT WEEK: We wrap up the Assassins arc of Cyborg 009! The suffering is real.